Strawberry rhubarb jam
Make homemade Strawberry Rhubarb Jam from fresh rhubarb, strawberries, sugar and lemon with no pectin!
If you’ve ever made a homemade strawberry jam recipe, incorporating rhubarb enhances each the flavor and texture! You can very easily shop it in your fridge or freezer, or can it in a water bath to final all year long!
STRAWBERRY RHUBARB JAM
Pin it to your Summertime RECIPE BOARD to Conserve it for later!
This Strawberry Rhubarb Jam recipe could have been the very best jam, or preserves, or jelly… or whatever you want to phone it… I have ever made.
This is the ideal strawberry jam I have ever loved. It was that good. But it’s not just strawberry jam. It’s strawberry rhubarb jam, and that makes all the variation. I will tell you why.
Strawberry and rhubarb are so wonderful collectively. How about I tempt you in creating any of these
Strawberry Rhubarb recipe ideas:
- Strawberry Rhubarb Lemonade – This properly sweet and equally tart fresh squeezed Strawberry Rhubarb Lemonade is the greatest child friendly summer time drink and will quench any thirst.
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie – There are couple of pies far better than a mouthwatering, sweet but tart, flaky crusted, warm Strawberry Rhubarb Pie. Oh yeah.
- Strawberry Rhubarb Streusel Muffins – Indulge in this naughty summertime treat. Strawberry Rhubarb Streusel Muffins are made with fresh strawberries and tart rhubarb wrapped in a brown sugar batter.
- Strawberry Rhubarb Lemon Bars – A summer twist on conventional lemon bars. These Strawberry Rhubarb Lemon Bars develop a fresh tangy sweet taste that will have every person wanting more.
- Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler – I took my super basic cobbler recipe and used a fresh strawberry rhubarb filling. Oh my!
The very best way to make homemade strawberry jam:
It’s all about the top quality of the fruit.
First of all, I utilised the very best attainable strawberries in the globe. They are known as Hood strawberries. Prized for their vivid red shade and exceptionally massive size, Hood strawberries emerged from Oregon’s Hood River Valley in 1965.
They expand best in the Western States, but if you truly know what you’re undertaking in the backyard, I’m positive you can figure out how to increase them in your neck of the woods. They only have one harvest every year as opposed to plants that carry on creating all season long, and its like a feeding frenzy when they’re offered at the farmers markets.
Causes to include rhubarb to your strawberry jam recipe:
I really use a lot more than twice the volume of rhubarb in this recipe than I do strawberries.
I do this for a few factors.
- 1st, rhubarb is much less costly than strawberries (at least mine was).
- 2nd, if you’re not going to use pectin, you want a great deal of sugar in order to get your jam to gel up. Strawberries are presently incredibly sweet, so the addition of a ton of sugar is just nauseating. Rhubarb, nevertheless, is extremely tart, so the addition of sugar can make every thing appropriate in the planet.
I noticed a whole lot of recipes on-line that named for a heck of a great deal more sugar than I utilised and let me inform you – if you’re using very good quality sweet strawberries, I wouldn’t put any far more sugar than what my recipe calls for. The stability was excellent as was the ultimate consistency.
How much does this strawberry rhubarb jam recipe make?
As written, this recipe tends to make about 4 cups of homemade jam.
As considerably pleasure as I would have taken in devouring all 4 cups with a spoon and some crusty white bread, I made a decision to can 4 jars of this liquid gold for the winter months when I’m craving the summer bounty that had extended considering that come and gone. I did, nevertheless, get ample added to fill this tiny dish which made for some amazingly tasty treats.
If you don’t want to can the jam, it will preserve in the fridge for a couple of weeks, but let’s face it – canning is exciting! So preserve it!
Can you use frozen strawberries and rhubarb to make jam?
Definitely. My preference is often to make issues seasonally when generate is fresh, but given that each the strawberries and rhubarb are both cooked down, it tends to make no variation at all – zero, zilch, nada – whether or not you use fresh or frozen fruit.
Locating frozen rhubarb at the retailer, nicely, that’s a challenge in and of itself.
My tips to every and every 1 of you is to acquire as significantly rhubarb from the farmers’ industry when it’s in season as your freezer can hold and freeze it by yourself.
What is the goal of adding lemon juice when producing jam?
In addition to that glorious citrus taste lemon adds, you want it in your recipe when generating homemade jam, like this strawberry rhubarb model.
There’s a little foods science involved in knowing the value of adding lemon.
In a nutshell, when you cook down fruit like strawberries and rhubarb with sugar, the normal pectin in the fruit breaks down, but that pectin won’t bind collectively simply because the personal cells really repel a single one more.
We all know lemon juice is acidic, which indicates it has a reduced pH. When decreasing the pH of your mixture, it neutralizes the adverse fees on the pectin (the factor that created the cells repel), and then the jam can come collectively and gel.
What do you know? That chemical engineering degree of mine wasn’t a total waste following all!